This recipe is inspired by Food & Wine and can be served over rice or by itself for a low-carb meal!
Stir-Fried Chicken with Napa Cabbage
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 celery Stalks, green parts sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 head Chinese cabbage (about 1 pound), sliced
- 3/4 cup drained sliced water chestnuts (from one 8-ounce can)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or scallion tops
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with the 1 tablespoon each of soy sauce, sherry vinegar, and fish, as well as the cayenne. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until almost done, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and coriander. Cook, stirring, until the onions are golden, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar. Cook, stirring, 1 minute longer.
- Add the cabbage, water chestnuts, the remaining soy sauce, fish sauce, the tomato paste, red-pepper flakes, and water and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes longer. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, the cilantro, and the salt and cook, stirring, until the chicken is just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.