Whether you use Shishito or Padron peppers, Chef Jenn Felmley gives us a great way to combine the flavors of summer squash, fresh oregano and peppers with eggs. Recipe from Chef Jenn Felmley’s, ‘Cooking with Suzie’s CSA’ at the Great News Cooking School.
Onion, Shishito or Padron Peppers and Summer Squash Frittata
- 8 farm fresh eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 cup Oaxacan cheese, small dice (like a Mexican Mozzarella)
- 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves (or your choice of fresh herb), finely chopped-divided use
- ½ cup onions, julienned
- ½ pound shishito or padron peppers, stems removed
- ½ pound summer squash, cut into quarters or slices
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and cream until completely incorporated. Stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg, Oaxacan cheese and half of the oregano.
- In an 8-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onion and peppers, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and peppers are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 additional tablespoon of oil in the same skillet. Add squash, season lightly with salt and pepper.
Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Turn off heat and return pepper and onions to skillet, stir to combine and add garlic.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables, tilt pan to distribute evenly. Cover and bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes.
Cut into wedges and serve with a garnish of chopped oregano.