Try this simple recipe from 101 Cookbooks.
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pizza) Recipe
- 2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup leeks, well washed and chopped
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or apf flour)
- a couple pinches of fine grain sea salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1+ tablespoon olive oil
- Garnish: toasted slivered almonds, chives/ herbs
- Combine the cabbage, leeks, flour, and salt in a bowl. Toss until everything is coated with a dusting of flour. Stir in the eggs and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a generous splash of olive oil. Scoop the cabbage mixture into the pan, and using a metal spatula press it into a round pancake shape, flat as you can get it. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden. To flip the okonomiyaki, slide it out of the skillet onto a plate. Place another plate on top and flip both (together) over. If you need a bit more oil in your skillet, add it now, before sliding the okonomiyaki back into the skillet. Again press down a bit with a spatula and cook until golden on this side - another 3 -5 minutes.
- When you are finished cooking, sprinkle with toasted almonds and chives, and slide it onto a cutting board to cut into wedges. Enjoy immediately.