Lemony Baby Broccoli
Broccoli with lemon is one of my favorite ways to eat this brassica. Grate sharp cheddar cheese on top before serving and it will melt onto the broccoli and into your mouth. Recipe adapted from marthastewart.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch of baby broccoli or 1 broccoli crown plus stem, tough ends trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add broccoli, garlic, and, if using, red-pepper flakes. Cook until broccoli is bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water to skillet; cover, and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges and top with grated sharp cheddar cheese (if using).
- You can use either baby broccoli or crown broccoli. Keep a close eye on vegetables; cooking them just until they are crisp-tender will enhance the flavor and preserve more of their nutrients.