Learn how to peel and seed tomatoes to make fresh marina sauce, tomato soup, or for preserving for the winter.
How To Peel and Seed Tomatoes
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- With a serrated knife, core out the stem and make an "X" on the bottom of the tomato.
- Drop a small number of tomatoes in the boiling water for 30 seconds (until the skin loosens and pulls apart).
- Remove tomatoes from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and drop into the ice bath for 30 seconds.
- Repeat this process until all of your tomatoes have been blanched and shocked.
- The skin should slip off the tomato.
- Over a strainer, pull apart the tomato and push out the seeds. When finished, add the reserve juice back to the peeled and seeded tomatoes.