Try these kabobs as a side dish or a dessert from Cooking On The Weekends!
Grilled Strawberry Basil Kabobs
- About 16 medium to large strawberries (firm but ripe)
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sea salt
- Grapeseed oil
- To clean the strawberries, use a damp paper to wipe each one off. Remove the stems and cut each one in half, lengthwise.
- One by one, gently slide each strawberry half onto a metal or wooden skewer (if you're using wooden, soak them in water for about 10 minutes first). Between each strawberry half, slide on one or two basil leaves. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
- Preheat a stove-top grill or your barbeque and drizzle or brush a bit of grape seed oil onto the flat surface of each strawberry. Once the grill is hot, place the strawberry skewers on it, flat side down. You should hear a sizzling sound -- if you don't the grill is not hot enough. Wait until it is! Grill until each side is marked from the grill, about 30 seconds per side. Place the skewers on a plate and while they're still hot, use a pastry brush to add the glaze to the kebabs. Remove them from the skewers to serve.