This easy spread comes from our local friends at Annel and Drew’s Kitchen.
Fresh Shell Bean and Herb Spread
- 1 pound fresh shell beans (about 2 cups shelled)
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs, your choice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Lemon juice to taste (about 1/2 a lemon)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove beans from pods. Place in a saucepan with thyme sprigs, and enough water to cover by about an inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are tender and able to be mashed with a fork, about 40 minutes.
- Drain the beans, reserving the cooking water and discarding the thyme.
- Return beans to the saucepan or a bowl, add olive oil and 1/4 cup of the cooking water, and coarsely mash with a fork or potato masher. Add chopped herbs, onions, and garlic and continue to mash until combined. If necessary, add more cooking water or olive oil to reach desired consistency. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.