Try this easy-to-make coleslaw courtesy of the The New York Times.
Broccoli, Cabbage, and Kohlrabi Slaw
- 3 1/2 cups mixed shredded broccoli stems, green cabbage and kohlrabi (peel broccoli stems and kohlrabi before shredding) (about 3/4 pound)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoons nigella seeds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese (optional)
- Toss the shredded vegetables with salt to taste and place in a strainer set over a bowl. Refrigerate and let sit for 45 minutes to an hour. Discard the water that accumulates in the bowl and squeeze the shredded vegetables to extract more water. (Note: If you are on a no-sodium diet, omit this step). Transfer to a bowl and toss with the quinoa, dill and nigella seeds.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the lemon juice, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, Dijon mustard, oil and yogurt. Toss with the shredded vegetables. Add the cottage cheese to the salad and toss, or serve with the cottage cheese spooned on top. Refrigerate in a bowl or in containers until ready to take to work.