“It’s hard to mess this one up. Cook it quickly and you have a toothsome side dish, perfect the next day as a cold salad. Cook it too long and the result is a soft casserole-like preparation to complement meat, or served as a vegetarian main dish. I served it with a bowl of pasta with kale pesto and it was the perfect quick weeknight meal.” Comment and recipe from thekitchn.com
Baked Summer Squash
- 2 pounds summer squash (such as zucchini, pattypan squash, yellow crookneck squash)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the stem ends and slice the squash cross-wise in 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Toss with the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Arrange the squash rounds in a 9-x12-inch rectangular baking dish, or 10-inch pie plate. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another five minutes until the top is bubbling and crispy. Serves 6